Getting Help From A
Pain Management Specialist
If you are suffering from chronic pain and have not found a therapy that works well, it may be time to see a Pain Management Specialist about Spinal Cord Stimulation (SCS). The following information can help you make an informed decision.
Take this quick questionnaire
Select a Pain Management Specialist
Pain Management Specialists focus on treating pain patients with various treatment options tailored to the needs of each individual. They can provide more specific pain treatments than General Physicians. If you are not seeing a physician who specializes in pain management, you may be able to find one in your area by clicking Find a Pain Specialist.
If you are a candidate for SCS, your Pain Management Specialist may:
- Need to receive authorization from your insurance provider to perform the procedure.
- Order a psychological assessment to make sure you will be able to live with SCS successfully. These assessments are often required by insurance carriers.
- Schedule a Test Drive procedure, or trial, to determine if SCS will help to control your pain.
Meeting with your Pain Management Specialist
During your visit, the Pain Management Specialist may:
- Review your medical records
- Ask you about your experience with pain and the therapies you have tried
- Perform physical examinations and other tests to determine what is causing your pain
- Determine if SCS is an appropriate therapy for you
This Test Drive can help you and your Pain Management Specialist decide if SCS is the right therapy for you. If the Test Drive is successful in helping control your pain, you may be scheduled for a permanent implantable system.
Questions to ask the pain specialist:
- How will SCS help relieve my pain?
- Can SCS cover pain in more than one area?
- What are the risks of SCS?
- How will SCS affect my life? Are there any special restrictions?
- Are there any side effects?
- What happens if my pain gets worse or changes later on?
- How long will the SCS system last?
- Is there any chance I can break the system? Will I have any activity restrictions?
- Will I be able to reduce my medications?
- What is the trial procedure like? Is it painful?
Talk to someone who knows
Boston Scientific’s Patient Ambassador Program connects you with people who have experienced chronic pain and successfully treat their pain with
Spinal Cord Stimulation (SCS). Ambassadors volunteer their time to share their experiences with you; they are not employees of Boston Scientific, nor do
they replace the medical advice of your healthcare provider. What Ambassadors offer is insight into how SCS therapy helps relieve their pain.
Register to speak with a Patient Ambassador by calling +1 (800) 819-4SCS (4727) or visiting www.ControlYourPain.com/Ambassador
Resources to help make an informed decision
We encourage you to explore this website to gain a better understanding of the potential benefits and risks of SCS therapy. You may also want to:
- Learn about the experiences of other pain patients, make new friends and share your story, visit www.RaceAgainstPain.com
- Learn more about the Precision™ Plus System from Boston Scientific by clicking on Request Information.
- Speak to your physician about the benefits and risks of SCS.
For more information on the approved use, risks and benefits of the Precision Plus SCS System, click here